The Surgery is an innovative design, digital and internal communications business with an exciting mix of blue chip clients.
We are currently looking for a Web Developer.
We’re currently looking for a bright, motivated individual to join our growing digital team based in a lovely barn in the Sussex countryside.
- Thrive under pressure and be able to work to tight deadlines.
- Be used to working as part of a team.
- Be able to work under your own steam where necessary.
- Have a keen eye for detail.
Working closely with the design team, you will implement digital solutions developed in Illustrator or Photoshop. A sound design sensibility is required to effectively translate designs to the screen (mobile first, of course). Working mainly in WordPress but willing and able to spread out to other technologies as the solution demands/suggests; e.g. we use the Ionic framework to develop apps.
You will be required to work on the following types of projects, sometimes in overall control, sometimes providing support to another member of the digital team:
- Mobile apps
- HTML emails
- Asset creation
- Some client liaison
You will have a sound knowledge of at least the following…
- CSS – we use SASS
- Databases, e.g. MySQL
- Servers, mostly Linux
We build most of our sites in WordPress (WP), creating and building on custom themes developed in house. You will have a sound knowledge and understanding on the back end workings of WP, as well as the ability to pick up and learn such new technologies as may be employed from time to time.
However, we are not looking for someone proficient in WP only. Our apps, for instance, may employ WP as a back end, but they may equally use technologies such as Google Firebase and custom-built CMS frameworks. Some sites might also be developed using other technologies, such as Umbraco or Drupal. Whether or not you have existing experience in any or all of these technologies, it is important that you have the desire and ability to adapt and learn.
In addition to proficiency in the languages/tech outlined above, you will…
- be proficient in using the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- be keen to develop your own knowledge and expertise in a proactive manner
- be able and willing to support and help other team members
- have a good understanding of typography
- possess excellent communication skills.
If you’d like to know more about positions listed here, please send…
- a covering letter
- a full CV detailing your areas of expertise
- a copy of your folio and/or links to examples of your work
- your contact details
… to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Applicants will require their own transport to reach our offices.
NO AGENCIES – really!
Holidays: 20 days per annum pro-rata, plus usual bank holidays.
Hours: 9:00am – 5:30pm (subject to workload, you may be required to work later).